BMO Nesbitt Burns
1 First Canadian Place
39th Floor, P.O. Box 150
Optimizing Your Portfolio
When we welcome a new client to Paul Hartford Wealth Management, we will converse for as long as it takes to understand who they are and what their family is all about. We will ensure they understand what risk is, and explain what it means to structure a portfolio. The more investors understand, the less they panic when stock prices change and the better they sleep at night, so we break complex concepts down into simple terms everyone can understand. We manage portfolios customized to each client’s unique parameters and report performance through portfolio reviews every three months.
Here are the priorities that shape our investment approach:
Understanding and managing risk
An investor’s time horizon often defines their risk tolerance. The triangle below represents a typical portfolio: higher up on the triangle, investments involve more risk.
- A younger investor’s triangle will be tall, focusing on growth for the long term (top).
- A middle-aged investor’s triangle will be balanced, representing growth, income and some preservation depending on their risk tolerance (middle).
- An older investor’s triangle will be short and squat, because it focuses on low-risk investments that can generate income for retirement (bottom).
– Understanding your needs and risk tolerance, we will help you to understand what you need versus what you want. Investing is not about beating the market; it’s about building a portfolio designed to achieve your individual goals.
– Finding quality stocks that are underpriced has always been our strategy. You’re not buying a stock; you’re buying a business. We analyze how much of that business we are getting for your dollar, focus on limited companies that give us the best value, and always wait for the right prices before buying.
– We select our own stocks using both top-ranked BMO Capital Markets research and outside coverage.
– We are licensed to advise investors south of the border and have several clients who are US residents and/or ex-pat Canadians.
In addition, at Paul Hartford Wealth Management we follow all US research, understand US tax implications and work with US-based tax planners. We also bring US residents access to private banking services through BMO Harris Bank.
Flexible account options
We work with our clients through one of three different account platforms. Let’s discuss which one is right for you and your family.