BMO Nesbitt Burns
65 Regent Street
Disciplined, prudent investment leadership
As flexible and patient investors, we develop and implement structured investment strategies designed to maximize sustained, long-term returns without incurring undue risk.
We are not interested in the latest investing fads; we promote high-quality, blue-chip companies and hold them for the long term, following Warren Buffett’s tried-and-true approach. Working closely with top-tier institutional money managers who bring world-class experience and follow a disciplined and analytical process, we bring you more astute security selection than our team alone ever could ever offer.
Our most common types of investment portfolios include:
Ask us which of these account options is best for you:
The BMO Nesbitt Burns Architect Program.
- Household accounts (RRSPs, TFSAs, RESPs, LIRAs, and trust and income funds)
- Corporate accounts (associations, municipalities and holding companies)
- Pledge/margin accounts
- Non-registered accounts for clients who borrow to invest in securities
It provides you with access to institutional-calibre investment managers, enhanced diversification and active portfolio oversight. Portfolios are rebalanced quarterly to maintain your stated objectives as well as year-end tax harvesting, which minimizes tax reporting. Architect allows us to combine a variety of managers with different areas of specialization, in one account and to use specialized mutual funds for some investment categories that perhaps are not large enough in the portfolio to warrant using individual stocks or bonds.
Click here to learn more
The BMO Nesbitt Burns Meridian Program
is ideal if you have a smaller asset bases and a fund-based portfolio in a non-registered account. This account provides you with access to portfolios featuring a flexible combination of individual securities, ETFs and mutual funds.
Click here to learn more
Advanced advice for business owners
We are helping you optimize your wealth benefits. In partnership with BMO Private Wealth professionals, we work with you to integrate your business and personal priorities through the creation of a customized wealth plan which helps prepare you for the future.
A personalized pension plan
Many business owners consider their company to be their investment plan, but having no diversification leaves them at risk. If you have no pension to count on, we will:
Our services can help you:
Prior to retirement, diversity your holdings so your business is not your sole asset.
Invest the proceeds when you divest your company or practice to generate a steady cash flow to support your retirement lifestyle.
Manage your assets prudently, protecting your capital so you don’t have to worry about anything and are assured of your ability to leave a legacy to your loved ones and charities.
- Manage your holding companies.
- Address important tax-management and cash flow considerations.
- We will help you to identify opportunities and strategies to create tax-efficient structures that optimize your personal and corporate wealth.
- Transition your business while minimizing tax and improving your financial stability.
- Implement strategies such as estate freezes, key-person insurance, shareholders agreements and buy/sell agreements.
- Develop a complete and integrated Wealth Plan.
- Assist with insurance needs for income protection and tax-wise estate planning.
- Secure tailored banking and borrowing solutions through our colleagues at BMO Business Banking and BMO Commercial Banking.
Retirees – and soon-to-be’s
We help to bring retirees the confidence of knowing their finances are in good order and that they don’t need to worry about their income stream or future security.
To help you retire with financial freedom, we will:
- Prepare a Wealth Plan to determine if you will have after-tax retirement income and where it will come from.
- Build an all-season portfolio designed to generate income even if we experience a period of negative returns.
- Set up a steady stream of income, so you receive regular deposits like a paycheque.
- Help you open accounts and transfer money.
- Determine how much money will be available for your children and charities, and help you make the best decisions to:
- Pass your estate tax-efficiently to the next generation.
- Avoid keeping your money in separate silos.
- Earmark money for your heirs and invest it for growth, taking full advantage of the long time horizon.
- Make charitable donations to receive a tax benefit while fulfilling your philanthropic goals, either through BMO Charitable Giving program or other strategies.
- Provide a smooth transition from a saving lifestyle to a spending lifestyle.